DIY Coffee Mugs With Vinyl For Valentine's Day
I LOVE decorating coffee mugs with vinyl, it's quick, easy, cheap, and FUN! If you need a last minute Valentine's gift or decor piece to liven up a space in your home give these a try.
The best thing about decorating mugs is the number of supplies you need. You only need four supplies – and about 15 minutes.
- E-Cutter & Design Software
- Red & White Vinyl
- Coffee Mugs
- Transfer For Your Vinyl
There is nothing like a warm cup of coffee or hot chocolate – both of those are things I love. And I love drinking my morning coffee out of cute mugs, I don't like having boring mugs that come with a set of dishes. Each mug in my house has a story, a reason, no two are the same.
Each morning when I open the cabinet door and see all my mugs, I chose the one that will bring me the most joy that morning. These here will fit perfectly with the others in my cabinet. Why start a day without the right mug?
So here we go with the making of these coffee mugs with vinyl…
- Clean your mugs and dry them thoroughly.
- Open up your Design Software. I am using Silhouette Studio which came with my Silhouette Cameo 3.
- Type your words and choose your font. If using a cursive or handwritten font where your lettering will overlap, be sure to weld your letters.
- Measure your mugs to make sure your wording will fit on your mug.
- Cut your vinyl and remove the excess vinyl, this is called weeding.
- Take a piece of transfer tape and peel off the backing from the tape. Take the front of the tape (the sticky part), and place it across your lettering.
- Starting in the center and moving outward, press the vinyl onto the coffee mug.
- Use a scraper to make sure the vinyl is stuck onto your mug. If you don't have a scraper, you can also use a credit card.
- Peel the transfer tape slowly away from the vinyl at a 45-degree angle.
And just like that, your mugs are complete!
I created a fun word search for you to go along with this. Click here to download this printable!
I recommend hand washing your mugs. Since I have a lot of seasonal mugs that are only pulled out once a year (and these will be in that rotation), be sure to store them in areas without extreme heat. We keep ours in a box under the stairs.
I hope you give these DIY coffee mugs with vinyl. A quick trip to the Dollar Store and a couple of other supplies and you are set!